Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hot Dogs, Burgers, Grape Tomatoes On The Grill, & Fingerling Potatoes

Hi all! I am hoping that the rain is gone for today because I am going to grill tonight. I am doing hot dogs and burgers, plus grape tomatoes on skewers; my normal grilling meal. (I make my burgers with steak seasoning, steak sauce and Worcestershire sauce in them, the grape tomatoes get a coat of olive oil and are sprinkled with salt and pepper.)

I am also going to make fingerling potatoes, I got two recipes from the Food Network. One is from Ina Garten and calls for butter and dill, the other is from the Neelys and calls for olive oil and garlic - which should I choose? Maybe I'll let my hubbie decide. I have never had them before, have you? They were kinda pricey at $4.50 for 1.5 lbs. at Jewel, but I have to try them. "You can eat the thin, delicate skins and they have a more complex flavor than a regular potato" or so I read on the internet somewhere. I'll let you know! Anyway, here are the two recipes:

***********************************************************************************
DILL FINGERLING POTATOES Ina Garten
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 1/4 lbs. fingerling potatoes, rinsed but not peeled
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill

Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or large heavy-bottomed pot. Add the whole potatoes, salt and pepper, toss well. Cover the pot tightly and cook over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender when tested with a small knife. From time to time, shake the pot without removing the lid to prevent the bottom potatoes from burning. Turn off the heat and allow the potatoes to steam for another 5 minutes. Don't overcook. Toss with dill, serve hot.
************************************************************************************
ROASTED GARLIC FINGERLING POTATOES The Neelys
1 1/2 lbs. fingerling potatoes
4 tbsp. olive oil
8 garlic cloves, sliced
1 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a casserole dish, mix together all ingredients. Roast for 20 minutes.
************************************************************************************

Okay, now I have a moral dilemma that I would like your opinion on please. When we first toured our daughter's school with the principal he told us that due to state law the child must be 5 years old before Sept. 1st to enroll in kindergarten. Yesterday, while I was chatting with the other moms waiting to pick up our kids, one mom told me that her son was having a birthday and she was going to invite the whole class to go bowling and I said "Oh, he's going to be 6? My daughter is going to be 6 too!" And she said "No, he's going to be 5 on the 11th" and immediately I remembered what the principal told us.

So, what do I do? Do I call the principal and tell him? I don't want to be a tattletale, but because I know of the law do I have any obligation to tell? What difference would it make? Some kids do well in kindergarten at a young age; I was only 4 when I started. What I really want to know is why the school didn't ask the parents how old their kid was; I was required to bring in a copy of my kid's birth certificate to prove her age. Please leave a comment and let me know your thoughts!

Happy eating!

3 comments:

  1. I never thought of grilling grape tomatoes; we do zucchini and corn and sometimes mushrooms and peppers. I'll have to try these; bet they came out good!

    I don't think I would say anything about the boy not being 5 by 9/1. I would have thought the school would want a copy of the birth certificate, since every school I have registered my kids for always wanted it to verify age. Its a sticky situation for sure. I do know boys tend to mature slower than girls so it will be interesting to see how he keeps up with classmates. for me, this is one time I would keep my mouth closed.

    (to answer your question, its my hubby who is the guitar player in the family :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I love fingerling potatoes!

    I agree with Betty, whenever I have signed my kiddos up they always check their birth certificates and shot records,either they all ready know or they will soon, kids have big mouths :) His teacher probably is aware at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fingerling potatoes! Both of the recipes sound good, but I think I'd go for the one without dill. I'd be afraid it would overpower the potatoes.

    I wouldn't worry about the boy who won't be 5 by September 1st. It's up to the school to abide by state law. There may be a reason he is an exception to the rule.

    ReplyDelete