Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Shrimp Scampi Pasta

Tonight my FiL is coming to dinner again, it's become a regular Wednesday night thing, and I am making Shrimp Scampi Pasta. I made this recipe once before (way before my blog), but I used chicken ILO shrimp; it was really good, so if you are not a seafood fan use chicken. I know I got this recipe from a magazine a few years ago, but I have no idea which one. My guess is Woman's Day or Good Housekeeping. Anyway, here is the recipe:

**************************************************************************************
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (14oz.) chicken broth, divided
3 tbsp. flour
1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. chopped parsley
12 oz. linguine
red pepper flakes (optional)

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well.

In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, cover, and cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute more.

Pour 1 cup of broth and the flour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake to blend. Pour remaining broth and broth-flour mixture into saucepan; bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and cook 3 minutes more. Stir in lemon juice, butter and parsley. Pour over cooked pasta.
*************************************************************************************

If you are using chicken you would obviously have to cook it way more than the 3 minutes the shrimp need to be done; I think I cut up chicken tenders into bite size pieces and cooked them in a separate skillet with some EVOO and S&P. When I make this later I will add a little S&P when I add in the lemon juice, butter and parsley. Also I will not shake the broth and flour in a container, but whisk it in a bowl instead. I will serve it with a green salad and cheesy garlic bread - yum!

Shrimp scampi always reminds me of our honeymoon because we ate the BEST shrimp scampi appetizer one night at dinner - it was SO good! That was almost 8 years ago so you know it was good if I still remember it. LOL I also remember the first time I referred to him as "my husband" on that trip and it was weird and exciting and the memory still makes me smile. :)

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. this sounds wonderful. I really like your recipes, thanks for sharing them. I am so going to try a few.

    ReplyDelete