Friday, July 10, 2009

Let's Talk Books/Friday Night Pizza

We had pizza again for Friday night dinner, a frozen Extra Cheese Tombstone. We added some extra cheese, as well as green pepper and onion. Yum... but boring. So I want to talk about books.

I absolutely love the Chicago Public Library's website. You can search for books by author or title and, if they have the book, you can click to see a summary and/or reviews. They have a great home page with a book blog, a Recent Arrivals section, a We Recommend section, and of course they offer books, CD's, DVD's, audiobooks and more. Plus I can put books on hold and have them sent from any other library in the city to my neighborhood branch for pick-up. Isn't that wonderful? Well, it is for me because I love to read.

When I was young I loved to read Sweet Valley High and other teen romance books. Then I got into scary stuff by Stephen King and Anne Rice. Actually one of my favorite books it still The Witching Hour by Anne Rice. Very historical and slightly spooky about witches in New Orleans. Then I got into chick lit by Jane Green, Jennifer Weiner, Madeline Wickham, and the like. Now I still like that stuff, but I love the mom-lit which Jane and Jennifer have branched into as they got older too.

Finally, I find myself branching out a bit into travel books and food books (other than cookbooks). I recently read the travel book Undress Me In The Temple Of Heaven, which I highly recommend and awhile ago I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver about eating locally for a year, which again I highly recommend. I currently have on hold Farm City: The Education Of An Urban Farmer, and The Food Of A Younger Land: A Portrait Of American Food Before The National Highway System.

What do you like to read? Read anything good lately that you could recommend? I'd love to hear from you!

Happy eating!

4 comments:

  1. I'm also a life long reader. Only, I never read Sweet Valley High when I was younger. I did go through the Stephen King, Anne Rice stage. Then the chick lit and mom lit stages, reading the same authors that you listed. I am actually reading Certain Girls right now. I love Barbara Kingsolver too, although I have not read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.

    If you like Anne Rice, I just finished her first two books on the life of Christ. I think the first one is called Christ is Lord: Out of Egypt. Her research and flare for historical fiction is amazing. Other favorite authors are Wally Lamb, Helen Fielding, and Khaled Hosseini. My favorite author of the classics: Steinbeck. Oh, and when I don't want to think too hard or I need a laugh, I like Janet Evanovich's books about Stephanie Plum. I forget what the series is called, but I've read most of them.

    Happy reading and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read, too. I haven't had as much time, lately, with the kids out of school. I've been lucky to page through the Reader's Digest!!

    I think Stephen King will always be my favorite, but I will read just about anyone and anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like some great books, I am heading off to the library this week and will have to look for a couple of those. I have been reading a lot of Jodi Picoult lately, they are pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read! Wish I had more time for it, and more space for the books. I even had a similar progression, from Sweeet Valley High to Dean Koontz, from their some boring college Brit Lit reading, over to chick lit - Confessions of a Shopaholic series, Jane Green, Sweet Potato Queens. I love Paula Deen's books - she an inspiration and an instigator (to my waistline!).

    ReplyDelete