Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Tuna Salad & Meat On The Grill

I went out to my dad's house in the suburbs today for a visit. I haven't seen him since Father's Day, so it was good to catch up with him. While I was there we made my mom's delicious tuna salad. My dad bought a HUGE can of tuna from Sam's Club (seriously, it's as big as your head) and our end product weighed 9 lbs.! He kept a little less than half and I got to take home a little more than half. Here's the normal size recipe:

***************************************************************************************
COLD TUNA SALAD

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
1/2 diced green pepper
2 diced celery stalks, plus some chopped leaves
1/2 white onion, diced
6 cans tuna in water, drained well
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
1 dollop mayo
1 dollop sour cream
mustard to taste
pepper to taste
celery salt to taste

Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain well.

First mix together the tuna, pepper, and celery salt. Taste to see if it is to your liking. Then mix in the green pepper, onion, celery, mustard and egg. Next add the mayo and sour cream, in equal amounts, until mixture reaches desired creaminess. Taste again and add any extra seasonings. Finally, stir in the macaroni. Refrigerate.
**************************************************************************************

This is so good, and it's nice to have in the fridge for a quick lunch or dinner. Too bad my husband won't eat tuna; more for me and my kid!

When we got home, I immediately lit the grill because my FiL was coming over for dinner. I threw on some hot dogs and hamburgers left over from the BBQ, as well as some skinless smoked sausage. Normally I use skinless smoked sausage in a casserole with sauerkraut and potatoes in the winter or in Zatarain's Jambalaya mix, but it was excellent on the grill. I served it all with buns and potato salad and coleslaw. I also sent my FiL home with a container of the tuna salad.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment