Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chicago Style Hot Dogs


Today we went to my friends graduation party in Beloit WI, which is a bit of a drive from here, about 2 hours. But it was great fun! I got to see my dear old friends and their parents and siblings that I have not seen for a looooong time, so it was worth it. That picture is of me and my two best friends, plus my daughter trying to sneak into the picture. Can you guess which one is me???

By the time we got back into the city it was 8pm, so my husband ran out to a local place to grab some hot dogs for me and a cheeseburger for him. It is one of the great things about living in the city: all the beef/hot dog stands/restaurants. Want a beef, juicy or dry, sweet or hot peppers? Gyros? Italian sausage? It's no more than 5 minutes away. It is such a pleasure to not have McDonalds, Taco Bell or KFC be the only fast food choices. The place we got our food from tonight has been around since I was born and the owner is always working the register and always remembers you.

Tonight I had a taste for good old Chicago style dogs, which have pickle, tomato, mustard, relish, onion, sport peppers and is served on a steamed poppy seed bun. I never get the sport peppers - too hot for me. Some people joke that it is like eating a salad on a hot dog, but I think they are the best.

Happy eating!

1 comment: