Sunday, June 21, 2009

Grilled Subs & Dreamsicle Cake

Happy Father's Day! (to any dads out there who might be reading this.)

My own husband is laying on the couch snoozing, while I simultaneously type this post and play the Tinkerbell Memory game with my daughter. I am losing big-time folks. :)

Tonight I will be making Grilled Sub Sandwiches; I got the recipe from Krista's Kitchen, although I have changed a few of the fillings for the sandwich. Here's how you do it:

*************************************************************************************
1 big loaf Italian bread
Italian salad dressing
salami
pepperoni
mozzarella cheese
provolone cheese
onion
green pepper
olive oil
salt & pepper
tomato

Heat up your grill. Slice the green pepper and onion, place in the center of a large sheet of tin foil. Season with olive oil, salt & pepper; fold up foil to create a packet. Grill the packet for 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare your bread. Slice it in half and remove some of the soft inside bread from the top half. Brush the inside of the bread with the Italian dressing; grill dressing side down for 3-5 minutes. Then layer all your fillings on the bottom half of the bread (grilled onion & green pepper, salami, pepperoni, tomato, and cheeses) and top with the lid. Wrap it securely in more tin foil and grill it until the cheese is melted.
************************************************************************************

Doesn't that sound yummy? I can't wait to make them tonight! Thanks for the great idea Krista!

Earlier this morning, my little kitchen helper (aka my daughter) helped me make a Dreamsicle Ice Cream Cake for dessert. She is 5 1/2 and is getting really good at using the hand mixer. This recipe is from Kraft; they have a newsletter full of great recipes that gets delivered to my inbox about every two weeks. It is at www.kraftfoodscompany.com if you are interested. Here is the recipe for the cake:

***********************************************************************************
2 cups orange sherbert, slightly softened
1 - 8oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 - 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup orange juice
1 - 8oz. Cool Whip, thawed

Line a 9x5 loaf pan with tin foil. Spread sherbert into the bottom of pan; put in freezer. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the milk and juice. Gently stir in the Cool Whip. Spread this mixture over the sherbert; cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 3 hours. Remove plastic wrap, invert cake onto a serving plate, remove foil.
**********************************************************************************

We licked the spoon (of course) when the Cool Whip mixture was done - yum! I don't know what I am looking forward to more, the sub or the cake.

Sorry I haven't posted the last couple of days, but there was nothing exciting to report. On Friday night we had a Tombstone Garlic Bread Cheese Pizza. Last night we had Subway subs; I had Tuna on Wheat with tomato, lettuce and red onion. I made American Cheese Omelettes this morning. Okay, I gotta go clean the grill for later!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment