Monday, June 29, 2009

Creamy Spaghetti Sauce

My daughters preschool put together a cookbook with recipes they got from all the moms (and one dad) and sold it as a fundraiser. It was the first time they did this and we all learn from our mistakes, so I am sure that next time there won't be two practically identical recipes for veggie pizza, side by side no less, in the book. LOL
They sold a ton of them and hopefully raised a bunch of money.

There are a few recipes I am looking forward to trying and Creamy Spaghetti Sauce is one of them, so I am making it today. The quote in the book is "I never thought much of spaghetti until this recipe." Her comment intrigued me for some reason.

**************************************************************************************
1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
1 small onion
1 packet spaghetti seasoning
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
1 can mushrooms
garlic

Cook meat and onion together - add garlic once meat has turned brown. Drain mushrooms and tomatoes, and add all other ingredients in large pot. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low heat or slow cooker for a few hours - add water as needed. Always better the second day.
************************************************************************************

That is exactly how it is typed in the cookbook. I did not add the can of mushrooms since my husband is not a fan of them. It does not say how big the tomato sauce can should be, so I used an 8oz. can, and I did not drain the diced tomatoes.

I threw it all in the slow cooker after browning the beef with the onion, and after letting it cook on low for an hour I tasted it. It was good, but needed a bit more seasoning for my liking so I put in a 1/2 tsp. of each: salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and garlic powder. I like it much better now. The cream of mushroom soup does add an extra flavor and creaminess that is nice, and the house smells wonderful. I'm sure it will be terrific later served on spaghetti noodles with garlic bread and salad.

We went to the library today to report on books for the summer reading program and there was a regular police car and an un-marked outside. I thought maybe it was for the aldermans office next door, but there were 4 officers inside the library. Apparently someone dropped off their autistic or handicapped child at the library and left. Librarians are not babysitters, so they called the police. It makes you wonder about some people.

Happy eating!

3 comments:

  1. I love recipes that allow you to dump everything together and walk away!

    My daughter's preschool also did a cookbook fundraiser this year. We have a few duplicates too, although they have been doing it for years. Funny too. I submitted the "allowed" 3 recipes and they only published one of mine. Hmm. May need to apply for that committee next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like an interesting recipe. I've never thought about adding cream of mushroom soup to spaghetti sauce before, but I do add heavy cream and extra basil once in a while.

    I can't believe someone would drop a special needs child off at the library! They should be ashamed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an award waiting for you at my blog!

    ReplyDelete