Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Taco (Salad) Tuesday

What a nice lazy day! After a weekend filled with running around and working on the house, it was nice to take it easy. My daughter and I didn't get out of our jammies until almost noon! I did get some laundry done, did dishes and changed the bedsheets, but I also got to spend part of the day reading the mom-lit book I picked up at the library: Mommy Tracked by Whitney Gaskell.

The lazy day called for an easy dinner, so I decided to make my version of Taco Salad. I have cobbled together the ingredients in my recipe from other recipes for this dish from Allrecipes, which is my favorite website. We also used to make a version of this dish in Girl Scouts and called it Mock Tacos because all the ingredients for tacos are present, but you don't serve it in taco shells or tortillas.

1 lb. ground beef
1 packet taco seasonings
1 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup Catalina/French dressing
1/2 cup water
half a head of lettuce, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 bag shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
tortilla chips

Brown the ground beef and drain off the fat. Add the taco seasonings, beans, water and dressing; mix well. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
Crush desired amount of tortilla chips in the bottom of a large soup bowl, top with desired amount of beef mixture. Top with cheese, lettuce, tomato and sour cream. Enjoy!

The black beans add some healthy fiber, and of course you can go low-fat or low-cal with the cheese and sour cream. Maybe use baked chips too, if you are really on a health kick. We are not and I only buy full fat, full calorie products. :)
Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. When I worked in an office, I had a co-worker who made a taco salad very much like this. It was so good we would beg her to bring it every time we had a luncheon. I'd like to try your recipe, it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Willoughby! I know some people use Dortito chips, and others even mix everything together in the pot.

    ReplyDelete