Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday Night Pizza

In the past we have always ordered a pizza on Friday night with pepperoni or sausage on half. Sometimes with onion rings on the 'cause you need a veggie, or cheese sticks on the side 'cause you can never have enough cheese. :) But with the economic downturn in full swing we sometimes just throw a frozen one in the oven.

We really like the Palermo brand and Tombstone's Garlic Bread pizzas, but I will buy whatever is on sale especially if I have coupons. Red Baron is another good one, and California Pizza Kitchen, DiGiorno, and Freschetta are not bad either. I almost always end up adding some shredded cheese on top during the last five minutes of baking because, like I said, you can never have enough cheese.

Lately we have been ordering from LaVilla, which is where our wedding reception was held. No, it wasn't in a pizzaria; they have a nice restaurant, a small party room, and a beautiful banquet room that seats 300 too. We had my dad's 70th surprise birthday party in the small party room. Can you tell we like the place? Oh! And my husband had my 30th surprise birthday there as well. However, there is a place called Martinos that has a pizza called Capricciosa that they describe as "a marinated mixture of tomatoes, garlic, onion, basil, olive oil and spices" that is like eating a piece of heaven! We say it is like bruschetta toppings covered with mozzerella cheese - it is SO delicious! I also love a good Margherita pizza (which is similar to the Capricciosa) and Marino's in Wood Dale (my hometown) has a great one.

As a kid, we always had pizza night on whatever night our Girl Scout meeting was on; my mom was our co-leader. My parents would ALWAYS get sausage, onion, green pepper and if my brother and I didn't like it, we could pick off the toppings (which is what we did) or eat something else. I was in GS from 1st grade thru 12th grade and my mom was always a co-leader, and then after I graduated I became her co-leader and we had a junior troop together for a few years. Ah, the memories! I miss you mom! I am still best friends with two girls from Troop #710, D. and A., I love you guys!

I have a Palermo's in the freezer that we will eat tonight, with salad on the side. The weather has cooled off considerably, today it is only 65 out here with the lake breeze, although I heard on the news that it was closer to 72 further inland. Never underestimate mighty Lake Michigan...

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment