Saturday, December 12, 2009

Easiest Homemade Fudge

Well, I didn't get my picture. Once again my daughter refused to go anywhere near Santa. We tried being stern, we tried talking nicely, we even tried to bribe her. >sigh< Oh well, there's always next year.

Tonight we are going out to eat. So in order to leave you with a recipe, I am going to share this one. I got it from a wonderful woman I worked with, and it is so easy you will be surprised. It also makes some of the best fudge I have ever had. The best part is that you can customize it to please anybody's tastes. Throw in some marshmallows or dried fruit or nuts. Experiment with all those different chocolate chip flavors that are available these days. Add in crushed peppermint or toffee. The possibilities are endless!

This is my favorite way to make it, simple and clean. I am making this fudge this year for neighbors and teachers and family instead of cookies.

*********************************************************************************
FUDGE

1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 dash salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Line an 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan with tinfoil; set aside. In a medium saucepan, over medium-low heat, warm up the milk. Add chips, stir until melted and smooth. Add vanilla and salt, stir well. If adding extra ingredients, do so now. Pour fudge into prepared pan, use a spatula to spread evenly. Refrigerate overnight. Lift tinfoil out of pan and peel gently off of fudge. Cut into bite size pieces.
*********************************************************************************

Happy eating!

10 comments:

  1. Yum, where's my fudge?? I think I have only 1 picture with Santa and my kids, he is a little intimidating :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the fudge sounds good! does it get hard though after a few days or does it remain soft? (not that fudge would last more than a few days here LOL)

    so sorry that you couldn't get daughter to visit Santa for a picture; you are right next year could be the charm

    enjoy your dinner out :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an easy recipe! I'm going to try it instead of the marshmallow fluff version. One question, can you taste the butterscotch? Wanting chocolate fudge! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    Betty, this fudge is never hard. It is a bit stiffer if you keep it in the fridge and softer if you keep it on the countertop, but like you said it never sits around for long! :)
    Lin, in my version you cannot taste the butterscotch, I think it just a little something extra to the flavor. If you want really chocolatey fudge I would use 2 cups semi-sweet and 1 cup milk chocolate chips.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love fudge!

    I'm not sure if my daughter will go near Santa either. I plan on taking her soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom once brought home some fudge from a potluck dinner that was made from refried beans. It was actually pretty good, but the idea of it----gak!

    Wanted to thank you so much for all of your kind and supportive comments during our recent ordeal. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I clearly remember taking our son to the mall for his first visit to Santa...this was about 19 years ago. Our son took one look at the bearded guy in the red suit and went running and screaming down the hall. I passed five or six stores and a JCPenney before I finally retrieved him. Hence...no Santa photos here, either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter won't go near Santa either! And I am making that fudge tonight...sounds great! I was wondering what to give to my daughter's teachers - THANKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I finally made that fudge, and wow, is it delicious! I was very intrigued by the butterscotch and chocolate together, and it's simply wonderful - very rich and tasty! I'm going to make another batch and experiment with some add-ins! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete