Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Mexican Lasagna

We love tex-mex food around here and this recipe was awesome! I got it from the cookbook my daughter's preschool put together in 2008. The only things I changed were the amounts of sour cream and salsa - I used WAY more than the recipe calls for! Oh, and I omitted the cilantro (cilantro and I do not get along).

*****************************************************************************
MEXICAN LASAGNA

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 pkg. taco seasonings
3/4 cup water
2 green onions, finely chopped, divided
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped, divided
juice from 1 lime
12-15 corn tortillas, taco size
1 cup salsa
3 cups shredded Mexican-blend cheese
1 cup sour cream
2 roma tomatoes, chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large saucepan brown the ground beef, drain off fat. Stir in taco seasoning, water, half green onion, half cilantro and lime juice. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Line the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with some of the tortillas (4-5 should do). Spread some of the sour cream over the tortillas and sprinkle with a generous amount of cheese. Add half the ground beef, layer with some salsa and then sprinkle with more cheese.

Add some more tortillas over the first layer. Spread some more sour cream over the tortillas and sprinkle with cheese. Add the remaining beef, then more salsa, then sprinkle with more cheese.

Add a final layer of tortillas. Spread some sour cream over the tortillas, layer with salsa, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover with tin foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Let stand, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Top with remaining green onion, cilantro and tomatoes.
******************************************************************************

I tore some of the tortillas to fit in the holes and I think they were flour, not corn, tortillas. Reading the recipe you can see where I had to use more than just a measly cup of sour cream and salsa, right? Anyway, it was delicious and is definitely being put into heavy rotation around here!

Happy eating!

3 comments:

  1. Well, my kids do love lasagna, so I think I'll give this a go really soon. Although they've had the usual meat lasagna and some veggie lasagna, tortillas are a bit new to them. But still, I'm curious to know how would they take it. Thanks for sharing this one. I also enjoy cooking for my four hyperactive kids and for hubby of course! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds delicious!! I can't wait until it cools down here so I can make it (don't like to run the oven in the hot summer days) I think I would use a lot of sour cream too for it!!

    (your house sounded like a great thing to get too! good feeling too not to have a mortgage!!!)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! I love cilantro, it makes things smell so fresh :)

    ReplyDelete